DIOCESE OF VARANASI

Fullness in Truth

Shahganj



Deanery Varanasi
Patron Saint St. Thomas, the Apostle
Year of Establishment 1935
Parish Priest Fr. Anthony Rodrigues
Asst. Parish Priest Fr. Shailendra Kumar
Priests of the Parish
No. of Catholics 124
Address ST. Thomas Church St. Thomas Inter College Shahganj P.O. Jaunpur Dt, U.P. 223101 05453-222046
Religious Srs 07
About The catholic missionaries started visiting this station in the beginning of 20th century. It is one of the oldest stations of the diocese. From the registers signed in 1912-1913, it is clear that Fr. Laurence of Petrzzi, OFM Cap., who was incharge of Faizabad, visited Shahganj. In the later years the station was completely abandoned. It was opened again in the beginning of July 1934. In November 1933, Fr. Paschal Sinha, who was appointed in Azamgarh, had an assistant, brother Jacob Mascarenhas. They had to go up and down to Allahabad and Faizabad. Shahganj falls in between. Brother Jacob established contacts with the local people of Shahganj. Soon they requested him to start a school over there. Having made the preliminary agreement with the people of Shahganj, Fr. Sinha referred the matter to Dr. Angelo Poli, Bishop of Allahabad. After getting the consent from Dr. Angelo Poli, Fr. Sinha made a written agreement with notified area committee of Shahganj which gave Rs. 500/- to start the Mission. Thus, the School started in a rented building in 1933, has merited praise from civil and educational authorities right from its inception. Soon the school won the esteem of the people of the station, rich and poor alike. The number of children increased, mostly non-Catholics. In October 1935, the school moved to the present healthy site, comprising four acres, which were given free by the local zamindars and duly registered in the name of the mission. There was no building. A thatched roof was set up. It was recognized in 1938. In 1959 St. Thomas Intermediate College was started. The new Church was blessed in 1984. Franciscan Servants of Mary opened a house in 1974. Their new convent was blessed on June 25, 1992. The sisters were involved in health, education and social development activities in the beginning, however, now the work is mainly education and catechesis. There is a boarding house for boys (class IX-XII). The boys boarding serves a greater purpose in encouraging the catholic boys not only from the diocese but also from the neighbouring diocese of Allahabad. Besides St. Thomas Intermediate College and St. Thomas Primary school, presently we have St. John's School that is shifted to Sabrahad village, 5 km away from St. Thomas Inter College.

Designed by : Spidey's Web